Main Content

Valley Village

Valley Village

Valley Village is a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles, located within the San Fernando Valley. The 2.09-square-mile Valley Village lies north of Studio City, east of Sherman Oaks, and south and west of North Hollywood. Mapping L.A. describes the Valley Village borders as Burbank Boulevard to the north, the Central Branch of the Tujunga Wash to the east, the Ventura Freeway to the south and Coldwater Canyon Avenue to the west.

According to Elke Garman, co-president of the Valley Village Homeowners Association in 1991, the history of Valley Village went back to the 1930s, when workers at nearby motion picture studios built houses there. The local post office on Magnolia Boulevard canceled all mail with a “Valley Village” postmark. It was, however, officially a section of North Hollywood.

The idea of separating Valley Village from North Hollywood was brought into public light with a meeting of about 300 homeowners at Colfax Avenue Elementary School in December 1985, yet it wasn’t until 1991 that Valley Village got seven new blue reflective markers from the city of Los Angeles to mark its borders.

Reporter James Quinn of the Los Angeles Times wrote that Valley Village no longer wanted to be associated with North Hollywood, “a community that has grown old, heavily Latino and crime-plagued,” but, in the same article, Valley Village leader Tom Paterson was quoted as saying that the move “was more than an attempt to boost property values” and that it “had nothing to do with ethnic demographics.” Rather, he said, “It was one economic level seeking to have its own identity.”Quinn wrote that:


“Houses along Valley Village’s lushly landscaped, graffiti-free streets cost up to $800,000, and a two-bedroom, two-bath entry-level house will run $300,000, residents say. Elsewhere in North Hollywood, that same size entry-level house can be purchased for as little as $150,000, real estate agents say. And the cheaper house is likely to have an overgrown, dusty yard and to be in a neighborhood reeling from crime, with gang graffiti splattered on block walls and street signs.”

In 1994 the Los Angeles Times called Valley Village an “area of upscale residences.”[9] The 2000 census found that renters occupied 68.7% of the housing units, and homeowners occupied the remaining 31.3%.[10] In 2006 Valley Village was described in another article as a neighborhood “mostly of 1,700sqft, single-story Spanish- and ranch-style homes that typically sit on nice-size lots.” Most of the 3,881 single-family homes were on residential streets, and 1,073 condos and 8,213 apartment units lined the main boulevards.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Village%2C_Los_Angeles


Available Properties in Valley Village


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.